Tuition and Applicaton
Tuition for At First Sight is $450, both advanced and intermediate.
Tuition for InSight is $350.
Tuition for PreView is $120
Tuition covers all workshop expenses and includes 5 meals: Monday’s Welcome Picnic, lunches on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday’s Pizza Feed. Student housing and all other meals are the responsibility of each family.
All registered participants must commit to attend AFS/InSight for the entire five days of the workshop. If you have conflicting obligations on any of the workshop days, please plan to attend AFS/InSight another year.
Housing and Meals
Housing: All housing arrangements are the responsibility of the student’s family. AFS staff does not supervise students outside of instructional time.
Southern Adventist University has two options for guests: Guest Lodging units, and Southern Village (student housing) apartments.
- Guest Lodging units are two-bedroom suites, with linens. They run $99-125 per night, depending on what is provided beyond linens. (see southern.edu/administration/lodging/)
- Southern Village apartments are an AFS special, and have basic furniture (beds, dressers, couch, table, chairs) but NO linens or kitchen utensils. They do have a lovely kitchen area with stove, full-size refrigerator and dishwasher (no microwave). They are also two-bedroom, and have four twin beds. (Note, these are NOT mentioned on Southern’s website.)
- For exact pricing and reservations, call 423-236-7000 or email email@example.com. Be sure to mention At First Sight, as Guest Lodging sometimes gives our families a discounted rate.
Hotels/Motels: Along I-75, Exits 5, 7 and 11 are nearest to Collegedale and Southern. For a partial listing of hotels, links, and phone numbers, see the Lodging Page on the Chamber Music Weekend site, or go to Southern’s lodging page, and scroll down for hotels that give a discount when visiting Southern Adventist University.
- Breakfasts: Please eat before you come to AFS in the morning. You’ll need the energy!
- Lunches: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday student lunches this year will be at the Southern Adventist University Cafeteria. Friday’s lunch is a pizza feed for all students and staff. (Vegan/GF available.) Cost of student lunches is included in the tuition.
- Suppers: Except for the Haystack picnic on Monday, suppers are not provided. The SAU cafeteria is not open for supper.
- PreView is not included in the meal plan. Observer meal tickets may be purchased for PreView students if desired.
You can find out more about Southern’s cafeteria at southern.edu/administration/food/
Restaurants and fast food eateries are available in nearby Ooltewah and at Four Corners. We’ll have maps with suggestions when you get to AFS. The Hamilton Place shopping area along I-75 has a wide range of restaurants, but traffic can be a problem. The Village Market Deli offers quick vegetarian lunch and supper options within walking distance of the music department. Because Southern Adventist University reflects the health-conscious attitudes of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, meals served on campus are vegetarian. Coffee and caffeinated drinks are not generally available.
An observer is a parent/guardian or non-participating sibling attending with an AFS/InSight student.
- All students age 9 and under must have a parent or adult guardian (observer) with them during the workshop.
- For the safety of our students, all observers are required to register, and to wear an AFS name tag. Registered observers are welcome at all workshop events.
- Observer Fees. There is no fee for observers.
- Observer meals. Observers are responsible for their own meals. If you wish to eat with your student, the cost is $12.50 per meal, paid in advance, or bring your own lunch.
- Concerts are free, and open to the public
A limited number of OutLook Scholarships are available to AFS and InSight students. These scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the AFS board on the basis of both need and community service. For details and the scholarship application process, see OutLook.
Applications are due March 31, 2023:
All applications must have three items:
- On-line Application
- Personal essay
- $50 non-refundable tuition deposit
if applying for OutLook Scholarship, include three items:
- OutLook application form
- Scholarship request letter from parents
- Scholarship request letter from student
Applications will not be considered until the deposit has been received.
Application results will be announced by May 1, 2023.
Late applicants, contact the AFS Director