At First Sight commits to developing the hearts, minds and spirits of young musicians. We seek to improve their musical abilities, to support and encourage their love of music, and to develop the connection between the gift of music and God, who gave it.
Specifically, our goals are:
To accomplish these goals, we:
- bring in artist coaches and teachers, to help students develop their ensemble abilities.
- involve more teaching staff, ensuring a low student-teacher ratio.
- focus on vital sight-reading and ensemble playing skills, as well as offer technique training.
- introduce master classes, discussions, and performance opportunities tailored to youth.
- meet the specific needs of beginning sight-readers, introducing them to the joy of making music together.
- devote the entire facility to the use of AFS participants.
- provide a forum for young people to ask questions of professional Christian musicians, and to express concerns about being a Christian musician in today’s culture.
- direct the young people’s attention to God, the source of their gift, and provide opportunities for them to share that gift with others.
Intermediate Orchestra June 23, 2023